LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Eating Gluten Free in U.K.

It really isn't that much trouble to cook dinner every night (and it saves a lot of money). I don't have to make everything from scratch like I do at home. 

Here, thick vegetable soups come in cartons and can be found in the refrigerators at the supermarkets.  They microwave well. It takes 1 minute or so to flash fry the beef steaks to sear in the juices. After that, I pop these into the oven for 5 minutes at 200 Deg Celsius to finish the cooking. It takes another 5 to 10 minutes to cut up the vegetables for the salad. As I cut veggies, the spaghetti is softening in the boiling water. Once the spaghetti is done (the veggies are done too), I pour on the ready made pesto sauce (and the ready made salad sauce).

Dinner is ready in 15 minutes tops, all thanks to multi-tasking and the wide variety of ready made sauces and stuff. There is also a reasonable variety of ready made desserts ranging from crème caramel to lemon mousse.

What is really great about buying food from British supermarkets is that the ingredients list is very exhaustive. If soy sauce has been used in the soup, the ingredients list will go so far as to specify the ingredients of soy sauce. It gives me a lot of confidence to buy ready made foodstuffs. Awareness of celiac disease is clearly high. All I need to do is to tell the server in any restaurant that I need gluten free options and everyone knows exactly what to do. 

Today, I had a gluten free scone with clotted cream and raspberry jam!

English Cream Tea. My version on the left is gluten free.


Tomato, basil and mozarella salad, with beef steak. The spaghetti is gluten free.

Strawberries and cream. Strawberries and cream have a symbiotic relationship on my tongue. The sharp acidity of the strawberries is tempered by the luxurious creaminess of the double cream. I can eat lots of strawberries this way, when I normally don't even like strawberries.

Bramley apple sausages and rocket salad with parmesan.

No comments: